Friday 14 September 2018

The Media and Me

The media plays a huge impact on my daily life, through everyday actions without even realising its impact.

Music Videos


Music videos were initially set up for promotional purposes, music videos promote the artist and their individual image yet also promotes their music and style. In my opinion I believe music videos have become less and less viewed as time has gone by. Multiple streaming sites such as Spotify and Apple Music ( which are the main ones) have taken over the need for music videos as using these apps you can easily listen to the music and there is no need nor purpose of the additional videos.
These video can additionally be used for the use of political views to help persuade and influence other choices by making one option seem more appealing then the competition.
Additionally, music videos can be made in order to raise awareness of certain subjects which can be difficult. One of which is "Frozen" by Joyner Lucas, this music video helps promote safe driving, boosting peoples awareness whilst at the wheel. They achieved this by using very emotional car accident scenes including multiple people in agony due to scenarios such as; drink driving, speeding and texting and driving and the devastating, painful potential outcomes. 







Joyner Lucas focuses his music videos enlighten issues but present the outcomes of people making the wrong choices; yet shows this from multiple perspectives. Another heartfelt video of his was to "I'm Sorry" this is a hard-hitting video focusing on suicide; from the perspective of whom committed suicide and also the loved ones who are left behind. At the end of this campaign video he lays the hard truth that 'one person commits suicide every 16.2 minutes' - that's 88 suicides in 24hrs, highlighting the attention needed to be brought on these difficult times.





There is a website called VEVO which is specifically designed for artists to publish their videos for VEVO's official website with hundreds of thousands of artists videos, although the official website is rarely used as people tend to watch music videos on YouTube, including myself.


Newspapers

Personally, I don't have a strong connection with this style of media. Newspapers are not as frequently used anymore and over the years have been rapidly being less heard of and read, some newspapers companies have even got to the extents of removing their style of print media and converting to a more modern style of solely using the internet to broadcast their news... such as 'the Independent'    
  
to read the independent's own article all about the moving to a digital future.
Within my family the newspaper isn't a prominent aspect in our lives. I don't class the newspapers as very important to me at all in my daily life as I am aware I can get the news I need online. If there is a certain heading which interests me I will pick it up and read it briefly if the newspaper is lying at home, otherwise it is very rare I will ever turn the page. 
Such apps and TV Programmes such as Sky News and BBC News broadcast their stories within minutes of an event happening meaning as a society we can get the news in the moment and all the information we want as soon as possible. Nowadays we don't have to wait as the clock counts down, waiting for the next day newspaper to come out to find out about the recent event. 
Newspapers frequently respond on huge political events, one of major ones in current years awas Brexit, many, many, many,  newspaper published their political views trying to push their audience to follow what them as a brand wanted the outcome to present. Here is an example of  'the Suns' headlines during the votes.




The newspapers purposely draw your attention to the 'Leave' to try convince their readers to vote in that certain way. This clearly would heavily influence many to vote this way, as they would assume it is the right thing to do... especially if they are already confused as to what to vote for. However, from my own perspective I don't feel heavily influenced buy this style of media currently at this stage of my life. 

Video Games


From Rollercoaster Tycoon, revolving around creating your own amusement park in a huge virtual world... all the way to GTA. GTA is a viral game which I believe personally promotes the wrong message it is known for being a theft game presenting illegal action yet also abuse. Majority of  video games have age restrictions to play due to content, this is as they can normalise certain thing.
Video games can lead to very unhealthy lifestyles though, these games are designed to be addictive so more and more people play, more and more often. This can damage things such as social lives and also personal appearance. 
The relationship between myself and video games used to be more frequent, this is as when I was younger there were many easily identifiable games I used to play, such as; Cooking Mamma, Wii Sports, Just Dance and Sonic & Mario Kart games. I never tend to play console games anymore, I will only play them with family, such as family games of FIFA.

Magazines


Magazines are something I enjoy reading and seeing. Admittedly last year I hadn't read as many but previously I enjoy reading fashion magazines and still do, previously I subscribed to ELLE magazines as it was something I enjoyed reading however, due to the ever extending technology I get any fashion inspiration and news now online and on their websites. However, I do still personally much prefer the paper versions as it feels more intriguing, genuine and more special to read. 



I do feel magazines have a huge influence on society as they create stereotypes, for example I feel the idea of beauty, what we see today, and the definition of this has solely been created by the media. As a young generation we see magazines which are faced with perfect models... with perfect everything and then we set our minds on aspiring to be like them. Questioning why we aren't. Questioning how we can be. 
Magazines have significantly influenced social media in general, making people only post the perfect side of their life, the first fashion magazine was published In 1867 November meaning the idea and concept have been being pressure on us all from an early stage. Even me, have to admit when you see such a sleek, perfect and idolised image you do naturally question. How. How and why you don't look like that. it can be both a positive and negative impact, sometimes the magazines can comfort you and make you feel better about yourself yet on the other hand, they can make you feel insecure within yourself



The Internet


Countries such as North Korea don't experience the whirlwind we know as the internet, they have strict restriction on the web.
The internet most defiantly has to be my most frequently used media out of them all! The internet comes in many different styles, however my most used has to be Social Media, this consisting of apps such as; Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat and thousands more. The aim of websites/apps like these simply show the perfect side of life, only posting the ideal perfect side of life and ourselves. Rarely hiding our own insecurities.
My generation knows no life without internet. The internet was invented in the late 1960's, being from the 2000's it sounds bizarre, the world without internet access. Things we take for granted weren't even available, you couldn't simply type into google your questions nor text someone over snapchat. It sounds ironic... a phone, which is rarely used to phone, calls are 'something of the past'. Below are the stats of the decline in using for calls ( taken from 'the telegraph' report).



Whenever I have a query I simply google it, I use the internet a lot for research, though never think anything of it as its simply second nature. Likewise, entertainment is a huge aspect of the internet. Netflix, NOWTV, Amazon Prime Video, holding hundreds of films that you can watch whenever you feel like it and whatever one you want. Additionally catch up programmes like ITV, BBC iPlayer, Channel 4. From my own perspective it is very rare I ever watch tv at its scheduled timings; I simply type it into the catch-up apps and watch then. Entertainment has turned significantly digital typically when bored most people turn to the internet, scrolling further ad further down your Instagram feed then changing to Snapchat then back to Instagram. It is a cycle that many turn to when bored in the hope something new and interesting appears - online.
Online shopping is something I use the internet for, very, very often. Many shops such as 'prettylittlething' simply just work online without physical stores which shows how significant the online shopping industry is. 
Overall, I feel the internet has a heavy influence on us which all contribute to the wider effect on society. Both in a positive way yet I think it does more bad than good, the way it is currently, though I believe I will still continue to forever use it due to the addiction.

Radio

I frequently associate the radio as quick news, personally I feel it is a place that I would turn to as a last resort for news. I enjoy having the radio on in the car, however, it isn’t a thing I think too much about. I more regularly listen to the radio and just pay attention to the music, constantly switching through stations until I find a song I like playing. The radio is a quicker option as it is instant, rather than finding personal songs on streaming sites. 
The radio was constantly playing at work (Heart) , I feel the radio can be motivating and therefore act in a positive way. However, similarly to all media’s can be forced in a negative aspect. Radio can be similarly to newspapers in the aspect of pushing their own views on their viewers and audience. 
A clear time I have related to the radio was throughout exam period, this was because it was an easy alternate for music as it chooses the songs and plays them for you, therefore meaning I don’t have to worry about getting distracted picking and choosing a song. Additionally, they frequently talked about GCSE’s which obviously affected me at that time and so updated me on news regarding it. 

Advertising

Advertising is a very strategical thing, the way we are targeted as an audience and influenced is very calculated. Many adverts stick in your head as they are memorable… deliberately, such as;
1. Ellie Goulding - Pantene - boxing ring, to show strong hair
2. Mo Farah - Quorn - to represent an athlete, eating healthy
3. Georgia Toff - Dermalogica - due to Georgia Toff's previous experience with her skin, shows how the brand cleared it up


Additionally, after 9pm, they stop all adverts that relate to young children; this Is because it is a waste of advertising time as they know majority of young kids will be in bed this time meaning the adverts will not preform their main role in persuading people to buy products. Therefore adverts for kids toy shops etc will no longer being aired. Secondly, they always make TV adverts relevant to the shows in use, for example they use a thing called placement meaning they use what you previously search and show adverts that relate similarly to your previous history; this then increases the likelihood of you making a purchase.
Adverts typically can revolve around class, even though there isn't as such a divide in society as there has previously been, adverts are still presented this way. For example, Rolls-Royce and Bentleys don't tend to advertise, they create adverts for their new cars, although, they don't air on TV as said on ( www.quora.com ) they 
' focus on much more targeted media specifically addressed to high net worth individuals' 
implying these brands work closely to specific audiences and targeting fewer but more direct than targeting a wider audience, as clearly more people cant afford a Rolls-Royce etc over the percentage who can.
Companies spend a lot of time perfecting their adverts to convince their audience their products are the best of the best. One brands advert who always sticks in my head & makes me want to buy their products is most defiantly Apple. Their adverts are always very modern and eye-catching. However, my favourite adverts above all are Christmas one - more specifically the annual famous John Lewis ones.

Film & Television

Films are something I watch regularly, my style of film varies; however my favourite category is action. With action films there is always a worry on the influence it may have on society, such as in some films it seems to be constant aggression and fighting. A clear example of this are the series of James Bond films, the repetitive images and scenes of guns can heavily influence people especially younger views, in some cases normalise such brutal aggression.
On the other hand, equally there ae many heart-felt, uplifting, inspiring films which influence society in the complete opposite direction. One film I really liked was ' soul surfer '  it was an inspiring film about a teenage surfer, who was attacked by a shark, but shows how she perseveres and doesn't let that stop her from doing what she loves... becoming a world champion.

Television is similar to this, the amount of negative influencing shows which are aired can have a similar impact. BBC's Bodyguard is a series which follows a storyline all about terror attacks in the UK. This is an upsetting topic, although the series shows realistic issues us as a country face as it is directed within London. It allows us to see a side we rarely see of politics and protection, therefore can be slightly linked to educational television.



No comments:

Post a Comment